Updated: Mar 11, 2021
DUTCH is a unique test developed by Precision Analytical labs and stands for Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones. It is still the most thorough panel of sex and adrenal hormones to assess hormone imbalances.
If you are not feeling up to par or struggling with symptoms like
· Weight gain that you are struggling to lose
· Mood swings, feeling irritable or low
· Adult acne or hirsutism
· Pre-menstrual issues (PMS/PMT)
· Low libido
· Irregular or painful menses
· Fatigue and struggling to greet the day
· Constipation and digestive troubles
· Difficulty dropping off to sleep or experiencing insomnia at night?
· Fertility struggles or cycle defects
· Hormonal migraines/headaches
· Dry hair or thinning hair, dry skin and joint pains
· Brain fog
Then it is likely you have a hormonal imbalance.
What does the Dutch Test measure?
The Complete Dutch test measures adrenal, steroid hormones and melatonin (our cirdacian and anti-inflammatory hormone which is meant to peak at the end of the day and as the light dims preparing us for sleep), using measurements of your hormone metabolites from dried urine samples. The hormones include:
· Oestrogen metabolites (estradial, estrone, estriol)
· DHEA and DHEA-S
· Cortisol metabolites
· 8-OHdG (oxidative stress)
· Neurotransmitter metabolites
What does the Dutch Test tell us?
How your adrenal and oestrogen metabolites are being excreted and how levels of sex hormones (oestrogen ratio to progesterone or low testosterone or DHEA) can contribute to and manifest as irregular cycles, painful periods, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, fertility struggles, mood swings and low mood, anxiety, fibroids, tender or lumpy breasts, pre-menstrual tension (PMS), or PMDD.
If you are struggling with energy, sleep, exhaustion or consistent fatigue not improved by sleep, anxiety, low moods, feeling wiped out in the morning but wired in the evening (‘tired and wired’) then you may have a dysregulated HPA (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal) axis which is responding to consistent high cortisol. Cortisol is one of our stress hormones and is released from our adrenals in response to hormones secreted from our hypothalamus and pituitary to perceived physiological or psychological ‘threats’. Over time, excess secretion of these hormones can result in a decrease of signalling from the HPA axis and suppression of the adrenal glands leading to symptoms like bouts of low mood, loss of resilience to stressful events, consistent fatigue and circadian irregularities (i.e. feeling exhausted when you wake up but awake at midnight). As the test is urinary it is able to give us a full picture of the measurement of cortisol and sex hormone metabolites (unlike salivary or blood tests) and also checks for the levels of melatonin if struggling with sleep.
The test also looks at the oxidative stress marker ‘8-OHdG’ which is a great indicator as to whether your antioxidant system needs support. High levels indicate damage to DNA through exposure to carcinogens like heavy metals, smoke and other environmental toxins and the need to increase protective nutrients.
A recent addition to the test has been added markers showing the level of metabolites of vitamin B12, B6 and glutathione plus neurotransmitter metabolites (serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine and epinephrine). The B12 metabolite Methylmalonate (MMA) is high if B12 is deficient in the cells. B12 deficiency can result in symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, memory problems, muscle weakness, depression and migraines and needs to be ruled out and supported appropriately when looking at balancing hormonal status. B12 is an essential methyl donor and helps to support good oestrogen clearance. B6 plays a similar role.
Glutathione is our body’s main antioxidant. It is a master detoxifier and plays a vital role in detoxifying our liver and cells and assists in strengthening the immune system. It helps us to detoxify toxins (heavy metals, endocrine disruptors, carcinogens), fights infections, helps to manage the effects of stress and increases the quality of our sleep. Low levels can lead to poor toxin clearance and increases in bad oestrogen metabolites.
The test gives a true picture of how you are excreting oestrogen from the body and can tell us what liver pathways oestrogen metabolites are being excreted from and whether there are possibilities of genetic SNP’s (i.e. MTHFR) present. Unsupported or poor oestrogen metabolism increases the risk of oestrogen-dependent cancers such as breast and ovarian, weight gain, hypothyroidism, PCOS, fibroids, breast cysts, endometriosis, peri-menopausal and menopausal symptoms.
The test also provides a good understanding of how your hormones are metabolising if you are taking hormonal replacement therapy (HRT) and want to ensure they are being shunted down the protective pathways, particularly if you have a history of breast cancer in the family.
So how does it work?
If you would like to order the test and work with me, you will be provided with a report explaining the test results and throughout our time together a naturopathic treatment plan customized to you, which will cover lifestyle medicine (sleep, food, exercise, and stress management) and the recommendation or prescription of targeted supplements and herbs*, which will help you to balance your symptoms and metabolise those hormones safely and with the right support.
1) We will arrange a short free call or chat to discuss whether the test is right for you and a brief overview of your health concerns.
2) You will then receive a questionnaire and food and drink intake form. Once these have been returned to me I will arrange for us to have an initial consultation, either in person or online, to discuss your symptoms, medical history, family history, medications, previous testing and treatments so I can take a thorough case history.
3) The DUTCH test will be sent to you. You take the test and send the samples back to the lab.
4) When your results are in we will schedule a 2nd appointment to go through your results, answer any questions and devise or tweak your treatment and lifestyle plan.
5) To get results and make the necessary commitment to addressing your health goals, I recommend booking my Full Hormone Health Test Package (4-5 consultations depending on your symptoms and goals over a 3 to 6 month period).
When ordering, you are required to give your consent to pass your name, DOB and address onto the laboratory.
*Supplements and herbs are offered to my clients at a discounted price.
Are you ready to make changes and invest in your health?
Fantastic. Contact me to book in for a free 15 minute call so we can discuss your health concerns and goals and to see whether the DUTCH test is right for you.